The Driving Dementia Momma!


Driving and Dementia
Cute Driving PICTURE!  Tee hee!

I was doing a bit of reading about the dementia patient and driving again. Recently, I found Alzheimer's reading room. and the site presented a podcast about driving and the dementia patient. Carole B. Larkin is the Geriatric Care Manager for ThirdAge Services, specializing in all forms dementia care.

When we had an in home dementia evaluation we also had a Geriatric Care Manager come to our home. Carole is from Dallas Texas, and that is where my mother whom has dementia was born.

Anyway, here is the podcast about when its time to stop the dementia patient from driving.



If you can't see the podcast click here.

I had to update my last message here, because it seems they will suspend Mother's drivers license on Monday. The doctor is out of the office until then. I noticed the podcast above mentioned the type of facility she will go to. Its called a rehab evaluation test for her driving skills due to the dementia. My brother and I were told it will take upwards of 3 hours to complete.

My brother was also in touch with my mother's insurance company, and they are looking into how a dementia patient and driving is handled with them. Sigh. I will admit I'm glad David is calling to tell her today about how her driving is going to end on Monday. I know WIMPY huh? I'm sure my phone call will come right after that.

I contacted a company that I'm familiar with here for in home care called Visiting Angels. They will be at my mother's home on Monday at 10:00 am, and I will meet them there. We have made arrangements for them to come some of the additional days during the week for her church group, and hair appointment. We wanted to be sure those things were not canceled due to her not being able to drive right now. Thursday my brother will again try to take her for her driving test.

Does anyone else have experience in this?

Mother did finally agree to have Visiting Angels come, but I'm sure it will be a different story on Monday. I had them come to the house, and meet with her and my brother as well. They offered for her to try them out for a week, and of course she refused. She told me before I left, "Maybe in two years!" I think after reading the doctor's note that changed things a bit for her.

The podcast about when to stop the dementia patient from driving I felt had some good points.  I will admit I'm still waffling about RIGHT NOW?!
0 Responses
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...