Communicating with people with Dementia


I had been doing some searching on youtube for Dementia and Alzheimer videos.

I watched this one, and I have to say it bothered me.  I guess because it seemed like the man's approach to the relative would leave him confused.  The rapid fire of questions to me wouldn't give him any time to process, or even acknowledge the questions.

I know my grandparents would have flipped out if I approached them like this.




It seems like the wrong approach for a dementia patient, and seems to go against the communication techniques they speak about for dementia patients.

Persons with dementia may attempt to describe an object that they cannot name or create a word to describe the object.  I have noticed with my mother it doesn't even have to be an object.  I found another article I felt was helpful in the area of communicating with a dementia patient.

Any Comments?
0 Responses
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...