Clock Drawing Test For The Dementia Patient


“Clock
Dementia Patient's Clock Drawing Test
One of the items during in home dementia evaluation that was mentioned was the clock drawing test.

As I mentioned yesterday we had a In Home Dementia Evaluation or Assessment for mom.

One thing I noticed about yesterday that I didn't mention was I saw my brother answering the questions posed to her by the Geriatric Care Manager.  It didn't happen all the time, but I did notice he jumped in when he knew she would struggle answering the questions.  I'm sure that is our 'human side' isn't it?

Something tells me we will both be in the habit of that soon.

The clock drawing test makes so much sense, but I have to admit it has to be rather humiliating to the dementia patient.

The clock is very universal, and so I can see WHY they use it.  It would seem to me people all over the world?  Their clocks are all going to look the same.



I had to giggle, because I'm not a true artist myself.  My circle would be crooked, and I would have to start by placing the 12 and the 6 on the clock.  I would then move to the 3 and the 9.  I would then of course fill in the rest of the numbers.

If you asked me to draw that on the computer?  It would look pretty, but if you asked me to draw that on paper?

All the numbers would be present, and time would be correct...can I say I'm sure a kindergarten's clock would look better than mine!  For me I wouldn't appreciate someone asking me to draw a clock just because I would want it to look 'just so', and I can't imagine how much more uncomfortable it has to be for the dementia patient.  Their concerns wouldn't be the same, but I was trying to put myself in their place for a moment.

My brother had brought my mother to the doctor when they did the clock drawing test, but the in home dementia assessment yesterday mentioned it again.  How you can use it to show a small picture into how things will change in time.

I thought right away about how my mother struggled with figuring out how to set the clock back in hour when our time changed.  The clock and the dementia patient?  I can see how a love hate relationship could start there for the dementia patient regarding the clock drawing test. 

If you are not familiar with the clock drawing test I will mention the basics.

1 point for the clock circle
1 point for all the numbers being in the correct order
1 point for the numbers being in the proper special order
1 point for the two hands of the clock
1 point for the correct time.

A normal score is four or five points.  I found an article that more information on different types of clock drawing tests.  It looks like it has hotlinks to the ones described.


They are basically using the clock drawing test to search for clue about areas of damage or change within the dementia patient.

To me personally?  This is an area of true heartbreak.  It hurts to watch them struggle, and we both have different aspects of frustration.

I know for my mother with dementia just like most patients?  Familiarity is good.

I know on some days she likes the digital clock, and other times the traditional one.  If I were guessing?  The traditional clock is the one she will stick to just because she has used that all her life, but I also know there will come a time in which it will not mean the same.

Anyone have any stories about the clock drawing test?
0 Responses
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...