A Living Will Form For FREE?!


 WELL almost - how about 5 dollars!

When you are caregiving one of things that comes to mind is, 'Am I doing what they would wish?'  BUT...    Do your loved ones know what your wishes would be?

I wanted to talk today about a almost FREE living will form that I found.  We all can relate to the resources that go into caring for our loved one with dementia and/or Alzheimer.  There are too many people that think they can NOT afford making a living will, and I hope I found an option for you today that will change your mind about writing a living will.

My father wrote me a letter before he passed about some of things he wanted, and things that scared him about dying.  He had all the legal living will paperwork in order, because he had a terminal illness.  He talked about personal things outside the legal document issues as well.  The one thing he pushed both verbally and in writing was that towards the end he wanted no pain, and wanted to be sleeping.  I made sure his final wishes were done.

My brother David and I were talking about my mother wanting her hair looking good, because that makes her feel better.

Do you have your wishes known like my father did?  I didn't want him to die, but I felt like I gave him a gift when his time came.  His living will, and his letter made me feel at rest in some important ways when he did die.  I want to give my family the same option!



If something happened to you would your family members KNOW how you would wish to be cared for?  If you were faced with only a life support option due to accident for example, would your family have know HOW you would wish things to be carried out?

Living Will documents is something we all need, and I realize some feel it is something for later on in life.
  • The thought of a living will gives some people the shivers.  
  • A living will isn't something you need to worry about in this time of life.  
  • I can't afford a lawyer for a living will! 
  • I wouldn't know how to do the living wills forms, or don't know where to find examples of a living will form.
We all have our excuses don't we?  Its scary, and at times hard to talk about.


Everyone has something in common, and that is we are all going to die someday.  We read in the news tragic things that happen all the time, and see friends and relatives dealing with awful circumstances.  I need to stop and think about how I would want things to happen if something happened to ME!  You can't do that while you are on a breathing machine in a unconsciousness state for example! It would be TO LATE then.

I can understand that some people feel they don't have the resources to afford a living will.  I was recently pointed in the direction of help that to me was almost like FREE living will!  Can you afford $5.00 to spend on a living will document that IS legally binding?  If you can afford 5 dollars than you maybe able to have yourself a living will. I was told about the 5 wishes program by Aging with Dignity, and in my state this $5.00 living will is something that WILL stand up legally.

There are 42 states that will accept this form as your living will, and YES you can even change it when the times comes.Lets look at some of the example living will questions this form covers:

The person I want to make care decision for me when I can't
The kind of medical treatment I want or don't want
How comfortable I want to be
How I want people to treat me
What I want my loved ones to know

They do answer your questions about living wills, give you suggestions for your living will, and start the ball rolling for discussions about your medical living will wishes.   5 Wishes Living Will gives you a quick example of their form online.

I will tell you it is a .pdf file, and if you are using FireFox as your browser?  I had to use another browser to view it, because firefox doesn't seem to like .pdf files.  I just copied the file address into Internet Explorer, and I could see it FINALLY!

Keep in mind this living will template could be used in the other states that aren't covered on their website.  It seems to me that the questions on this living will template are things that would need to in any living will document.

It would depend on the cognitive abilities of the Dementia or Alzheimer's patient if this could be used for them as well.  You don't want to wait until something happens before you make sure this paperwork is in order.

I found a video online about the 5 wishes program by Aging With Dignity, and she went into examples of items people may wish to include in their living will.


If you can't see video click here.

What is nice about the 5 wishes living will program is they have resources for community groups, videos, and suggestions on HOW to start this discussion. All of these options are VERY affordable!

As I caregiver I want to be sure my mother whom has dementia has her wishes fulfilled, but we also need to stop and think of our own. I hope this resource helps you get yourself a living will document of your own.
0 Responses
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...