Dementia and the Medication Routine


dementia medication box
Medicine organizer
My mother's doctor office called me about a month ago, because they were concerned about her thyroid levels.   They were concerned that she was not taking her medicine on a regular basis, and asked for me to check up on her.

We all know that memory loss is part of the dementia process, and I made sure mother's medicine was up to date.  My next move was to figure out HOW I was going to make this process even easier for her.

I started by calling the local mom and pop pharmacies in the area.  I had heard about a service smaller pharmacies had for their clients with dementia like my mother.  They come to the house once a week with those Sunday - Saturday pill boxes. They actually 'prefill' the weekly boxes, and when a refill is needed they take care of that as well.  I found one close to my mother's house that was willing to do this.  She would no longer have to keep up with her medicines, nor have to worry about refills.



I spoke with the Pharmacy staff, and made sure they were aware of her circumstance.  It was nice to find out that this pharmacy worked with my mother's doctor's office all the time.  I also found out that they use him for their medical needs as well.

I had called all the major chains in the area, and I knew my mother normally got her medicine from our local Jewel-Osco.  They didn't deliver, and nor did they fill the weekly medicine containers.  I would recommend looking for a small family owned pharmacy for a more personal touch.

My mother gets her medicine delivered every Thursday morning.  We setup her billing information, and we also left our contact in case her medicine box isn't empty.

What a relief having a medicine delivery service for my mother the Dementia Patient.  I no longer have to worry about her NOT taking it, taking to much medicine, or in her case to little.
0 Responses
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...